I have a Study Bible and while I was finishing reading Job tonight, I came across one of the inserts and it deals with forgiveness. It touched me, so I thought I'd share it.
Forgiveness is Unfair
At its core, forgiveness remains unfair. These is something unjust about a person's dastardly deeds going unpunished.
Such thoughts nagged at me until one day I came across an admonition from the apostle Paul tucked away in Romans 12. Hate evil, be joyful, live in harmony, do not be conceited- the list goes on and on. Then appears this verse: "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord" (v. 19).
At last I understood: In the final analysis, forgiveness is an act of faith. By forgiving another, I am simply trusting that God is a better justice maker than I am. By forgiving, I leave issues of fairness for God to work out. I defer to him the scales of justice.
Wrong does not disappear when I forgive. But it loses its grip on me, and is taken over by God. He knows what to do.-- Taken from an article by Philip Yancey that originally appeared in April 8, 1991 edition of Christianity Today.
Thursday, January 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's really good. I think forgiveness is an act of my will and has nothing to do with feelings. Eventually, my feelings will probably catch up with my choice to forgive.
Post a Comment